We, the members of the Harrison Police Department, strive to enhance the quality of life in the Town of Harrison by working cooperatively with the public and within the framework of the U.S. Constitution to enforce the laws, preserve the peace, and provide for a safe environment while also providing the most responsive, highest quality police service possible.
The Core Values of the Harrison Police Department
- Integrity is one of our Department’s key core values. Police Officers will conduct themselves in a manner that gains the trust and respect of those whom we serve. Strong character, honesty, true compassion, and understanding guide us in the ability to equitably and fairly discharge our sworn duties. It is paramount to maintain the integrity and trust of our Police Department.
- We are members of an elite and highly trained profession: law enforcement. We will conduct ourselves in a manner that is consistent with professional standards. These standards include the adherence to our Mission Statement and our Core Values. We hold ourselves and each other accountable for our actions. We aspire to high ideals: altruism; honor; scholarship; caring, compassion, respect for others and uninhibited communication.
- Our obligation is a requirement to take action, be that action either legal or moral. As police officers, we have the legal obligation to serve and protect the residents of the Town of Harrison, and the legal requirement to preserve order and uphold the law. However, our obligation runs deeper than just legal requirements. For us, there is an obligation to serve our community on all levels when a person is in need, whatever that need may be. We act not just because of our legal authority, but because of our personal duty and moral obligation.
- Each Police Officer is expected and encouraged to be a leader. By combining personal knowledge, and job skill, we take an active role as leaders within the community. As challenging or stressful situations are addressed, our Police Officers must rise to the occasion as leaders to help guide people through those difficult times. As leaders we are never looking to avoid conflict but instead seeking to resolve it.
- Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather its mastery. Our Police Officers will remain courageous in their actions. We recognize that there are two types of courage: physical courage and moral courage. Physical courage is recognizing danger to oneself or to others, but persisting in our duty regardless. Moral courage is the adherence to principle, integrity, and obligation no matter how convenient it may be to do otherwise. It is putting character ahead of expediency; of putting what is right ahead of what may be popular. We fulfill our obligation and are leaders because of our courage.
- Achieving excellence is a continuing process. The Harrison Police Department routinely takes actions that are above and beyond the normal call for duty. We are committed to providing the highest quality of professional law enforcement. We recognize the diligence and hard work of our employees, and take pride and satisfaction in a job well done.